Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Second Week, Class One

I am already thinking that I am glad it is only a 3 week class! End of the second week was Monday and the last three days of that week were TERRIBLE! Team Project due on Monday at midnight. We have known about it since the syllabus came out, but no one really started on it until after week one. Well the project is worth 25 points right? There are four topics for 4 points each. It just so happens that there are four people on my team. Seems like easy math to me!

WRONG!! Of the 4 topics, I felt comfortable writing on any one of them, so I put out a message to my other team members letting them know that. I told them that if anyone had a preference take it and I would pick left overs (basically, just not in those words). Not only did all topics get picked, the person that picked two already started the PowerPoint presentation with her two topics! BITCH! Yes, I said it and meant it. She KNEW what she was doing, you can't tell me that she didn't.

I shot off an email to everyone and was blunt. I asked how this was fair. I was assured that there were enough other things for me to do to contribute to the project. I took my lumps and started working on uniforming the presentation. We had citations on the slides and speaker's notes on the slides, awful I tell you - just awful. I spent almost 7 hours working on it Sunday and knowing that I still had more to do, I sent it out to everyone to review with the intent to finish on Monday before submitting final presentation (not due until midnight). Well these old ladies didn't like that I moved all their stuff around and made it look 'plain'. Excuse me but PowerPoint slides do not tell the story, they just hit the highlighted points. Your speakers notes tell the story.

Final presentation had nothing, I mean nothing from me in the way of contributed information or materials. As a TEAM, whatever grade is received is given to all members. It bothered me so much that I was awake at two in the morning. I couldn't stop thinking about it and started crying. After about 30 minutes of crying, I started writing a letter to the professor. Mostly, it was therapeutic in nature, but part of me knew that I would be sending it. Okay, do not do anything rash! I reviewed it, changed it and saved it. I sent it to myself at work. At 6 a.m. I laid back down for a nap.

On my way to work, I called my advisor...didn't tell her about the letter but did tell her about the project. First thing she tells me, you need to tell your professor. Okay - I felt better writing the letter; I felt better talking to her; and you know what? I felt better when I sent the letter. I hear that it is campus policy that professors have to answer withing 2 days so we shall see.

I now have a paper that I need to write, on my own, that is due on Monday, again at midnight. Going to go do some research now. Good thing that library online is open 24 hours!

No comments: